Sunday, April 7, 2019

Lucky Boy


I was really interested in how tension was presented with the alternate perspectives. For the first few parts, almost all of the first half, Soli’s, I was more interested in Soli’s sections. As soon as the perspective switch to Kavya’s, I found myself flipping through the pages to see how many until it was Soli’s turn again. Once we the readers are shown the psychological effects and the strain in the relationship when Kavya is unable to get pregnant despite all her methods, then the tension rises high. Until then, I was more invested in Soli who is in physical danger throughout her entire journey, and her stakes are constantly high with the fear of being deported. With every challenge she encountered, I feared for her, always expecting things to go worse. The initial connection might also have to do with being able to relate in some aspects to her fears, but the tension, I felt, was another.
With alternating/multiple perspectives, there are multiple stories—books—woven together. And at first, the two perspectives in Lucky Boy did feel like entirely different books. The characters’ goals were different in hindsight, but the main factor for me was the drastic levels of tension given to each one starting off. While Kavya was at a wedding for a woman she compared herself to, Soli was in a car with a stranger who planned to use her to transport drugs. When tension rose for Kavya as she became more desperate, more methodical, to have a child, Soli was alone in an onion car still trying to get to her destination. There was a time skip in Soli’s journey too.
Soli’s journey felt too tense, too terrifying that I wondered if that was why we don’t have her full journey until later. One section ended with her and Checo, and when we return to her she’s hiding with people she doesn’t know. I had to flip back to make sure I didn’t accidentally skip a section, or if I had glossed over an important detail. While I understood the gist of what had happened with the lines, “She did not dream of Checo, or of the brutish men who came later. The cave between her legs was numb, but her thighs were sticky and began to blister in the day’s heat” (page 58). I was aware of the horrific dangers women face in attempting to cross borders, in migrating. The descriptions “brutish men,” and “cave between her legs” was signal enough, one I hoped wasn’t true, but vague enough to keep me wondering about what exactly. The events aren’t revealed until later, in dreams, and I found that an interesting choice to make with the initial chronological flow of the narratives. But in a way, I appreciated it. I don’t know how’d I feel reading Soli’s sections, painful event after painful event, even if that is the correct chronological order. 
The amount of tension in the beginning of the book was high, but disproportionate in the two perspectives that it did feel like I was reading two separate books at the same time. Ignacio was the thread bridging the two books, but it also felt as if he was a different character to Soli’s and Kavya’s books, as both Nacho and Iggy. They are two sides, women who are humanized inside the complicated issues of immigration, class, and in motherhood. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Joana,
    I normally do the same thing with split perspective narratives! Flipping through the sections focusing on the character I am less attached to to see when we get back to the bits I do care about. However, I found myself not doing that with this book, which I think comes down to Sekaran's use of tension and time jumps to help keep the tension high, as if we skip over someone's part, we might miss something that would be impacting the other perspective later. This is especially true for me in the beginning, as I was just waiting very tensely for how Kavya would end up with Ignacio, what she or Soli would do or experience that would result in the custody exchange. I also experienced this towards the very end, but I had more certainty that Soli would get her son back in someway, and be able to keep him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed that I was worried I would miss something that was important later in the perspective of the other character. I was waiting (the whole time!) for their stories to merge, and felt that in itself was a sense of tension for me. It's interesting Joana that you were not as interested in Kavya's sections, I see how the tension is super different. Soli's whole life was so dangerous, and her sections were filled with urgency. I felt like Kavya's parts served to show how much wealth and comfort America represents...even if the specific comforts of Kavya's experience are not available to Soli at all once she arrives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wondered why I was so glad that Soli's journey was split up, that we don't get all of it at once, and I think it's because her story is so tense, there's so much that could, and does happen to her. I think I needed a break from all the violence and pain, as much as I wanted to know her full story, and appreciated how it was paced so that I didn't get too fatigued by the sheer weight of Soli's story.
    I think I did read Soli and Kavya's parts as two separate lives, but knowing that Kavya would end up with Soli's child for at least a little while, connected it enough in my brain to make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The response to the split narrative has varied so much, i wonder about the alignment or the curiosity or understanding—what fastens our interest?

    ReplyDelete