Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Nimona, Art, Dialogue, and what 11-year-olds have in common with NPR reviewers

       When my 11-year-old son found out I was reading Nimona by Noelle Stevenson for class this week, he said, “Wow! College is so cool! I’ve been wanting to read that book.” We read it together. Or rather, he consumed Nimona in an afternoon like he gulps down gluten-free cookies and tacos (his favorite foods). Then, I meandered through the book. Here’s something he said, “I like it because it’s funny, but it’s about real life stuff.” Tasha Robinson said something similar in an NPR review: “Much like Jeff Smith's Bone, it starts in a goofy, accessible place before deepening into a morally and emotionally complicated fantasy.” I think I like the way my kid says it better. I found this to be true in my own reading experience, too.  
       Nimona begins with its title character inexplicably in the dungeon/lair of bad guy, Ballister Blackheart. He’s a typical bad guy who doesn’t need a sidekick, but Nimona convinces him to take her on because of her very cool shapeshifting abilities. Opposite the two villains is Goldenlion, the flaxen-haired hero who created the villain in the first place because, as Blackheart puts it, “Ambrosius hates to lose.” Nimona is eager, a go-getter, who doesn’t stop to take directions or wait for Blackheart to tell her what to do. Her tendency to jump without looking is endearing and dangerous.  As I read, I loved that Nimona doesn’t have a model body, her hair is different, and she’s self-assured, telling Blackheart “No offense, but your plan was just gonna end with us getting arrested. I like mine more.” She also doesn’t allow her backstory to interfere with her positive attitude. Nimona’s character is what carries me through the story.  
     On craft, Stevenson makes the choice to poke fun at and subvert the fantasy genre on almost every page. The traditional, hero + sidekick model is flipped (at least at the beginning) with the bad guy getting a quite monstrous sidekick. Goldenlion seems to be the gallant knight if a bit dull in the wits department. But, by the end of the story, the situation is much more complex. It’s Blackheart who has to do the saving. Stevenson sets up the reader’s expectations by incorporating fantasy tropes, then surprises by flipping those tropes on their head.  
       On the artwork: I appreciated Stevenson’s style and use of color. The Nimona sections at the beginning are fairly light and punchy, while the art seems to grow more sinister as the story starts to become more serious. I recognized Stevenson’s style from LumberJanes, which I’ve read with my kids too.  
       Since this is one of our last two graphics, I’ll mention that I think the actual writing (words) is fairly weak in all the graphics we’ve read. While I have read graphics that I’ve enjoyed and felt strongly about (Saga cough cough), I don’t think it’s the writing that is compelling. The artwork has to be strong. I think this is why Belle Yang and The Cautioner’s Tale fell flat for me. I enjoyed Nimona much more because of the art. It’s hard to say whether I’d love this story, or be engaged by this story, as a prose work. When you can rely on art to communicate the majority of the story (mood, setting, character, tension, etc), what’s left is dialogue that doesn’t even necessarily need to be written well. Here’s an example from pg 53: Tabitha and Diego engage in pleasantries (which is discouraged generally in prose because it wastes time—an actual line of dialogue “How’s business then?”). Then, we finally get into the reason for the conversation on the next page—“Institution says it’s a hoax. Says it’s Blackheart.” For these reasons, I’ve been wondering what aspects of craft I’m supposed to be taking from the graphics. What aspects are translating for other students? Or maybe, what am I missing? 

5 comments:

  1. Write down the plot points and twists--they serve as a microcosm for plot study
    e

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you included your son's review, really cute and insightful!
    To speak to the craft aspects, for me, what I took the most from Nimona specifically are the subversions and playing with the reader's expectations. Because the fantasy tropes are so well known, and the genre itself saturated, the reader instantly projects previous knowledge onto it. Stevenson doesn't explain every detail of how the world works, and she doesn't have to because the reader will fill that in. Stevenson then exploits the work the readers do for her through the twists and subversions. I didn't focus on the dialogue as much, but in how the tropes were used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree with J that there were subversions of typical fantasy tropes. The sidekick is the one with all the real power, and the villain begins to rely on her, she even supersedes him as he becomes unable to live without her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you talk about the transition between the straight forward fair tale that the comic presents itself as and the thing it actually becomes, something more questioning and original. I also like that you pointed out Nimona's body type, it's so rare, even in a comic series I love like Saga, to find people that aren't models.
    I love your question at the end, comic books and prose are soooo different, but I really enjoy comparing them. For me, personally, I like to try to take techniques that are visual and see if I can translate them into prose, but I am more committed to try to do a "cinematic" kind of writing, and that isn't everyone. I also like seeing the kinds of things that visually tip us off to what's happening, how they create a mood with even very small elements within their work, which I think can be translated to writing. There are a lot of details I miss when I'm describing something, like a dark room, but when I see a photo or illustration of it, there is a lot I missed that I then go back and try to include in my writing, like lighting, color, and perspective, all the things I usually forget about when I'm more in my own head and writing from a character's point of view. I don't think everyone is inspired this way, but I do often try to borrow and change techniques from different mediums.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for your thoughts about my question!

    ReplyDelete