Sunday, April 14, 2019

Persepolis

     So, when I first started to read Persepolis, I found myself stomping every few minutes. I couldn't find an on ramp for the story. My knowledge of the Iranian Revolution was super limited and rather than creating curiosity for me, it created annoyance (I like to be a know-it-all; leave me alone). I also think that the illustrations didn't catch my eye, either, which made it difficult to jump in, too. I started to become interested in what I was reading on about page 14. At this point, we're still receiving mostly historical context with spurts of who Satrapi's family is. We learn a little about her character, too -- she's an oddball, a precocious kid obsessed with marxism and speaking directly to God (or Marx?). Her father is a proud man and her mom is a progressive woman. I consider page 14 my entry point though because -- ironically enough -- the illustrations. The ghosts on page fifteen, the spirits of the murdered theatre inhabitants, caught me eye. From then on I started paying closer attention and I thought of a comment made by our craft instructor last semester (this is very loosely paraphrased so someone please correct me if you wrote it down. : 
you don't tell the war story, you tell the story of the bloody sock by the road. 
But Satrap is doing the opposite here and it works. And one of the reasons I think it works -- and so well -- is because of the narrative voice + form. Telling this tale in the form a graphic novel was genius on Satrapi's end along with the illustration style. The child voice is blunt, often crass (the whole brass knuckles scene), and unflinching, but also at the same time still innocent. On page 59, Satrapi is discussing revolution with her uncle who is visibly bitter about his relationship with a woman in Russia. Her uncle says that Russians aren't like Iranians and Satrapi says 'why, they don't have heads?' It's such a small moment, but in the scheme of things -- executions, uprisings, revolutions, its a beautiful moment of innocence that contrasts starkly against Satrapi wanting to beat a classmate with nails between her knuckles. This voice anchors the reader who is, sadly so, more than likely not familiar with Iranian history because the story can't be separated from the war and just a bloody sock on the side of the road wouldn't do the story justice here (though we do  have those moments -- Satrapi's friend's bracelet; the lies parents tell about the absence of a loved one).

Also, the way the novel illustrates the war is very simplistic. There aren't a lot of shadows and no shades of grade (pretty much the way Satrapi tells the story, too). The simplistic drawings are effective and easy to follow (almost too easy to me at first). The graphics serve as a guideline and a way to present the child voice more effectively.
   

3 comments:

  1. Glad you found your way in and needing to know everything is so limiting. OMG. anyway when you did get in the observations on how this works adverse to the "bloody sock" advice (which i agree with) really makes a case for this graphic style.
    e

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marissa,

    I like that you bring up the small thing quote. I think Nayomi quoted someone else and it did have to do with bloody footwear.

    I do think this story is reaching bigger too. Sweeping history needs retelling sometimes. Makes me think about that "Show Don't Tell" writing instructors used to say to me (and others) when I was just beginning to figure the whole thing out and how now I hear about the "Show Don't Tell" trap because sometimes you've just got to tell the reader something. Anyway, I was thinking maybe this big versus small thing is the same. Write small when you need to write small; reach out and tell big stories when you need to do that. Maybe my point here (if I've even got one) is that the more I learn about writing, the fewer rules I think are actually rules. More like guidelines anyway. And that's a whole different point because as many times as I try to make something new, I find myself referencing all kinds of stuff that came before. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the point you make with discussing the war at a larger scale as opposed to only Marji's experience (it helps that she wanted to consume all of these books and her family was well off for her to be educated). I needed all the context she could provide for us because of how little historical context I already had. I was able to follow the child voice and her interpretations well enough, and her narrative was what made me invested. On the first page, while providing dates and the historical frame, on the last panel we see the children swinging around the veils. The child voice and the simplicity of it (images and narrative) were great combinations to tell Persepolis.

    ReplyDelete